Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Product Review: Maybelline Cat Eyes Mascara

<> <> <> <> <> <>
Maybelline Cat Eyes Mascara
photo credit: blogspot.com
Honesty is the best policy, and I honestly have a love/hate relationship with Maybelline's Cat Eyes Mascara. I'll start with what I liked about it. First of all, the packaging is to die for (I love the adorable cheetah detail on the top!) Secondly, it had a nice effect in terms of length. I felt like my lashes looked considerably longer while wearing this mascara (and even somewhat longer after I had removed the mascara!)


Now for the negative: I really hated the mascara wand. Its so thin!!! much thinner than it appears to be in the image above. I guess I'm just a fan of those huge, chunky, and full mascara wands (let's face it, that's the only way you're going to acheive volume.) On the other hand, Maybelline didn't promise volume, they promised longer lashes (with an emphasis on the outer lashes for that classic "cat" look.) 


Additionally, the formula was ANNOYING to say the least. Unlike the more classic toothpaste-like consistency of most mascara formulas, Maybelline's Cat Eyes Mascara had a formula more like water! I don't need to tell you how devastating it is to finish off your eye makeup after applying eyeshadow only to see black gunk splattered all over your lids, and yes, there was considerable "backsplash" after the application.


Last but not least was the clumping issue. I was so surprised that this mascara gave me a problem with clumping! (Given the skinny wand, and the water-like consistency of the formula.) After a single coat, it barely had any effect, especially on those infamous outer lashes. However, after applying additional coats it just started creating clumps out of nowhere! Total catch 22.


Overall, if you can get past the cleanup you'll need to do on your lids, the effect is alright. Definately not the best mascara I've ever tried. (Still looking!)


Personal tip* try getting a different wand from another mascara you enjoyed and use it with the cat eyes formula. I had a nicer result when I tried this!

1 comment:

  1. I have the same one, but without the cheetah print on the cap. It's great at preventing clumps, but I've found other brands more volumizing.

    ReplyDelete